- Ships registered in the NIS fly the Norwegian flag and are subject to Norwegian jurisdiction.
- Norway’s comprehensive code of maritime law assures owners, managers, creditors and insurance companies that the NIS represents a secure and professional alternative.
- Proactive and competent approach in international rule defining such as in IMO.
- The NMA strives for clear, user-friendly and accessible legislation.
- The NMA offers a high level of service and is ISO 9001:2008 certified.
- The Norwegian tonnage tax system is competitive in relation to similar shipping taxation arrangements in other European countries.
- The NMA offers a competitive reimbursement schemes for the employment of Norwegian seafarers in order to preserve Norwegian maritime expertise and a competitive framework for shipowners.
High technical and working standards
- The NMA actively works for fewer detained ship and ranks among the top ten countries on the Paris and Tokyo MOUs White Lists.
- The NMA has entered into agreements with the best RO’s/ Classification Societies only.
- The NMA supervises the working and living conditions for our seafarers.
- The NMA offers a highly developed welfare service for seafarers.
- The NMA has an officer on call around the clock for assistance to Norwegian flagged ships.
- Efficient first class support in case of security issues.
Best in class quality ship register
- Formal registration of vessels, their ownership and encumbrances is possible from 7 a.m. until midnight (European Central Time) every day except Sundays and International Holidays.
- During the registration process, great emphasis is placed on offering clear and complete information at the initial point of contact and pre-clearance of documents is always encouraged.
- Each registration is assigned to an officer in charge responsible for the whole registration process.
- Short response time. All enquires are answered the same day as received/ within one working day.
- Several search-options are available free of charge on the NMA’ s website, www.sjofartsdir.no/en/shipsearch/
- Norway has consular stations in 164 countries worldwide available to assist Norwegian ships and their crew.
Leading the way in green shipping and fuel development