1. Registration of new mortgages/ rights
1. Are there, currently, any mortgages/ other rights registered against the vessel?
Mortgages very often contain the clause "sale and further mortgages forbidden". Consequently, the mortgagee must either consent registration of the new mortgage/ right or sign the mortgage for deletion. The amendment must be made on the original document.
- If consent to the registration of a new mortgage/ right: New creditor, face value and currency must be specified.
- If the mortgagee/ holder of the right is a company: the endorsement must be signed with binding signature according to the certificate of company registration.
- If the mortgagee/ holder of the right is a foreign body: A Notary Public must confirm both the identity and the authority of the person signing the amendment. The Notary's signature is then to be legalized by a Norwegian Foreign Service Station or by the amendment of an Apostille.
2. The new mortgage/ right must be forwarded, in original, to the Department of Ship Registration with binding signature
- If the mortgagor/ holder of the right is a Norwegian registered company: to be signed according to the certificate of company registration.
- If the mortgagor/ holder of the right is a foreign entity: a Notary Public has to confirm the identity and authority of the person signing. The signature of the Notary shall be legalized by a Norwegian Foreign Service Station or by the amendment of an Apostille.
New mortgages/ other rights and amendments (i.e. consents) will be charged according to our current rates. In order to ensure correct billing, kindly fill in and send us the form “payment information”, KR-0070.
Deletions of ship mortgages/ rights are free of charge.
3. Submission of the documents
When may we forward the documents?
We kindly ask that the original documents are not sent for deposit at the register more than maximum 3 week prior to scheduled registration. Sender is asked to include a statement to this effect.
If registration does not take place within three weeks, the original documents will be returned to sender without registration.
All documents related to the registration process must be sent directly to the Department of Ship Registration
The Norwegian Maritime Authority, Department of Ship Registration
P.O.Box 73 Nygårdstangen
Please contact us and we will guide you through the registration process
Phone: (+ 47) 55 54 12 50
- The Norwegian Maritime Code of 24 June 1994 No. 39
- The act of 12 June 1987 No. 48 relating to a Norwegian International Ship Register (NIS)
- Lov om pant (panteloven) nr. 2 av 8. februar 1980 (available in Norwegian only)